0 4 mins 2 weeks
Official Web site: Palazzo Reale
Photos from Web

The Royal Palace (Palazzo Reale) is located in the central Piazza Castello, was the primary residence of the House of Savoy. It served as the center of politics, court life, and royal power. Today the Royal Palace is a UNESCO heritage site.

The history

Palazzo Reale, originally the Bishop’s Palace, stands today as it was after renovations. When the Savoy family visited Turin, they stayed at the Castle (Palazzo Madama).

Only from 1563, when Emanuele Filiberto moved the capital to Turin, did he take possession of Palazzo Reale and begin its renewal.

Palazzo Reale

Initially, the work was entrusted to Ascanio Vittozzi. With the ascent to the throne of Vittorio Amedeo I and his mother, Regent Maria Cristina of France, in 1643, Carlo di Castellamonte was called upon to reconstruct the palace after the damage suffered during the war. Later, he was replaced by his son, Amedeo. They completed the facade, finished in 1656, and redesigned the interiors. In the late 1600s, the gardens were expanded.

Starting in 1722, Carlo Emanuele commissioned Filippo Juvarra to modernize the second floor. Various renovations and modifications followed during royal weddings. Further updates occurred for a wing of the palace occupied for a time by Vittorio Emanuele Duca d’Aosta.

Carlo Alberto made some modifications for his son Vittorio Emanuele II’s wedding, including commissioning the current gate of Palazzo Reale to Pelagio Pelagi, completed in 1835.

The Royal Palace
The throne room

Vittorio Emanuele II built the grand staircase of honor in 1862, keeping Palazzo Reale as the seat of the monarchy until 1865, when the Savoy family permanently moved to Rome.

Behind the palace, you can admire the Giardini Reali, designed by André Le Nôtre.

Interior

On the first floor, we find rooms adorned with precious decorations by Francesco Beaumont. Among these are the Chinese Salon, the homonymous gallery, and the Royal Armory.

Equally impressive is the frescoed Gallery by Austrian artist Daniel Seiter, reminiscent of the Hall of Mirrors in Versailles. The Winter Apartment of the King and the Throne Room are also opulent and richly decorated.

The Royal Palace
Interior of Palazzo Reale

The second floor is accessed via an imposing staircase created by Filippo Juvarra, known as the “Scissors Staircase”. This name comes from a detail in the vault, where a pair of scissors cut two braids of hair.

The second floor underwent frequent renovations, resulting in many rooms being a blend of styles and leading to damage to ceilings and frescoes.

Noteworthy is the small Chinese Cabinet, located within the Duke of Aosta’s Apartments.

The Royal Palace gate

As mentioned, the gate was created by Pelagio Pelagi in 1835 at the behest of Carlo Alberto.

According to legend, the gate separating Piazzetta Reale from Piazza Castello, built by Pelagio Pelagi in 1835, divides the area of Black Magic from that of White Magic.

The most significant energy point is precisely at the entrance of the gate, between the two Dioscuri. In centuries past, the Holy Shroud was placed at this point during exhibitions. It is said that crossing the spot where it was displayed would recharge individuals with positive energy and good fortune.

Additionally, in the royal gardens located behind Palazzo Reale, stands the magnificent Fountain of the Tritons. According to mystery scholars, this fountain represents the pulsating heart of beneficial energy. Those who approach it carefully can perceive its vital and regenerating force, providing vigor and vitality.

Commenta